Voting FAQ

Who do I vote for?


Sandy BLUE, Kelly CHAHAL, Brenda FALK, Dave SIDHU and Ross SIEMENS

Note: there's no maximum number of councillors you need to vote for (e.g. you can vote for only the AbbotsfordFIRST candidates).

How can I get a ride to the polls?


Call or text AbbotsfordFIRST at 604-226-9975

or email us at [email protected]

Who Can Vote?


Abbotsford residents who are:

  • 18 years of age or older on Election Day;
  • Canadian citizen;
  • Resident of British Columbia for at least six months before Election Day (April 19, 2018);
  • Resident of Abbotsford for at least 30 days before Election Day (September 19, 2018); and
  • Not disqualified from voting by any statute or law.

Scroll below for information regarding Non-Resident Property Electors.

I'm going to be out of town on Election Day. What are my options?


Two Advance Voting opportunities will be available for your convenience, on October 10 and 13, 2018. Both Advance Voting opportunities take place from 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. at Exhibition Park (Ag-Rec Building Main Floor), 32470 Haida Drive, Abbotsford. Ensure you bring your Voter Notification Card if you have one, and at least two pieces of acceptable identification when you go to vote. Please note the City of Abbotsford does not provide for Mail Ballot Voting.

What types of identification must be produced in order to vote?


In all cases, voters must produce at least two (2) documents that provide evidence of identity and place of residence, at least one (1) of which must contain your signature. The classes of documents that may be accepted as evidence for the purposes of Section 57 or 57.1 of the Local Government Act are:

(a) a British Columbia Driver's Licence;
(b) a British Columbia Identification Card within the meaning of the Identification Card Regulation:
     (b.1) a photo BC services card within the meaning of the Identification Card Regulation;
     (b.2) a non-photo BC Services Card within the meaning of the Identification Card Regulation;
(c) an Owner's Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle Licence issued by ICBC;
(d) a British Columbia CareCard or British Columbia Gold CareCard;
(e) a Ministry of Social Development and Economic Security Request for Continued Assistance Form SDES8, (now "Monthly Form EA181);
(f) a Social Insurance Number card or confirmation of Social Insurance Number letter issued by the Government of Canada;
(g) a Citizenship Card issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada;
(h) a real property tax notice issued under Section 237 of the Community Charter of Section 21 of the Taxation (Rural Area) Act
(i) a credit card or debit card issued by a savings institution as defined in Section 29 of the Interpretation Act; or
(j) a utility bill issued for the supply of electricity, natural gas, water, telephone services or coaxial cable services by:
     (i) a public utility as defined in Section 1 of the Utilities Corporation Act;
     (ii) a gas utility as defined in Section 1 of the Gas Utility Act;
     (iii) a water utility as defined in Section 1 of the Water Act;
     (iv) the British Columbia Hydro and Power Authority; or
     (v) a corporation licensed by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission for the purposes of supply.

The above listed identification documents must be accepted by election officials. Sections 72(3) and 73(3) of the Local Government Act allow other documents to be accepted at the discretion of the election official. 

What do I do if I have recently changed my name?


Pending the required two pieces of acceptable identification being provided, you may change your name in the system when you go to vote. If you are recently married, it is recommended you bring a copy of your marriage certificate with you when you go to vote.

What if I did not receive a Voter Notification Card? (ie. recently turned 18, missing card, etc.)


If you have not received a Voter Notification Card in the mail, please us the "Find Your Voting Place" tool at to locate your Voting Place.  You may register to vote at the Advance Voting Opportunities (October 10 or 13), or on General Voting Day (October 20).