What types of identification must be produced in order to vote?


In all cases, voters must produce at least two (2) documents that provide evidence of identity and place of residence, at least one (1) of which must contain your signature. The classes of documents that may be accepted as evidence for the purposes of Section 57 or 57.1 of the Local Government Act are:

(a) a British Columbia Driver's Licence;
(b) a British Columbia Identification Card within the meaning of the Identification Card Regulation:
     (b.1) a photo BC services card within the meaning of the Identification Card Regulation;
     (b.2) a non-photo BC Services Card within the meaning of the Identification Card Regulation;
(c) an Owner's Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle Licence issued by ICBC;
(d) a British Columbia CareCard or British Columbia Gold CareCard;
(e) a Ministry of Social Development and Economic Security Request for Continued Assistance Form SDES8, (now "Monthly Form EA181);
(f) a Social Insurance Number card or confirmation of Social Insurance Number letter issued by the Government of Canada;
(g) a Citizenship Card issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada;
(h) a real property tax notice issued under Section 237 of the Community Charter of Section 21 of the Taxation (Rural Area) Act
(i) a credit card or debit card issued by a savings institution as defined in Section 29 of the Interpretation Act; or
(j) a utility bill issued for the supply of electricity, natural gas, water, telephone services or coaxial cable services by:
     (i) a public utility as defined in Section 1 of the Utilities Corporation Act;
     (ii) a gas utility as defined in Section 1 of the Gas Utility Act;
     (iii) a water utility as defined in Section 1 of the Water Act;
     (iv) the British Columbia Hydro and Power Authority; or
     (v) a corporation licensed by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission for the purposes of supply.

The above listed identification documents must be accepted by election officials. Sections 72(3) and 73(3) of the Local Government Act allow other documents to be accepted at the discretion of the election official. 

Volunteer Donate